There did not exist the sun 13 billion years ago…
There did not exist the earth 4,5 billion years ago and there did not exist water 3 billion years ago.
There existed Mount Erciyes, Mount Hasan and Mount Bolkar that erupted and scattered their ashes and fire to the Central Anatolia 10 billion years ago and that greet the travelers like a castle today.
Central Anatolia is a region that hosted many ancient civilizations for thousand of years. It is the craddle of history and cultural heritage.
As a homeland, Anatolia geography that was shaped like the head of a mare coming full gallop from far off Asia to stretch into the Mediterranean has become a source of inspiration for many epopees, poems and love stories.
Republican and Enlightenment movement which was started just after the Canakkale and Independence Wars was spread into the whole Anatolia under the leadership of Ataturk.
The light source travel and the road story of poet-teacher Faruk Nafiz starts with his travel from Istanbul to Kayseri in 1922.
THE STORY OF ÖKÜZ (the ox) MEHMET PASHA
Faruk Nafiz Çamlıbel who wrote the poem Walls of the Inn stayed in the Öküz Mehmet Pasha Caravanserai in Ulukısla in March, 1922.
This caravanserai providing the inspiration for the poem was built from easily processable and durable stones brought from Cappadocia. Those stones were transferred on ox carts through the pathways. After passing the aqueducts in Nigde and Bor, the ox carts departing from Nevsehir stopped at Öküzçökeren nearby the Kolsuz village. During the travel on a slope, one of the oxen couldn’t stand carrying the heavy load and died. Grand Vizier Öksüz (orphan) Mehmet Pasha remove its yoke and wore on his neck. He started to carry the load with other two strong oxen. Because the Grand Vizier Öksüz (orphan) Mehmet Pasha, the son of a blacksmith of Karagümrük, proved that he is as strong as an ox, after this event he was called Öküz (the ox) Mehmet Pasha.
That ox cart loaded with stones reached Ulukısla passing the Caykavak Passage and greeting the Catal Kale locating in the east of Beyagil village. The historic caravanserai was completed by those stones (1616).
The caravanserai located on the northern slopes of the Taurus Mountains, the natural safety wall of Anatolia, have had a strategic importance in every stage of history, and have hosted many travelers for hundreds of years. One of them was Faruk Nafiz.
Ulukısla the old name of which is Hamidiye has been referred together with the Öküz Mehmet Pasha Caravanserai.
In Kus adası there exist another caravanserai again built by Öküz Mehmet Pasha with the same name…
Ulukisla, March 2016
Dursun Ozden (Travel Writer, Poet, Drector of Documentery)